WATCH ME ASSESS A SAMPLE COLLEGE ESSAY
This week I’m sharing with you my feedback on a sample application essay.
The student who sent me her essay was stressed out because she didn’t feel confident writing about herself and lacked a clear understanding of what really matters to admissions officers (and why).
I know many of you feel the same kind of frustration even if you’ve been given lots of tips on how to write your essay.
The fact is that being told what to do is very different from actually being shown how to put those strategies into practice in your own writing.
That’s why I want to give you an example of a college essay, written by an actual student, and provide you with my step-by-step analysis of it.
My review of this sample essay is designed to help you break through your confusion, save you time, and show you how to write a good application essay that will increase your chances of earning acceptance to college.
10 THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM MY
ASSESSMENT OF THIS SAMPLE COLLEGE ESSAY
- How to transform a boring essay into an interesting one
- What to do if your college application essay seems cliché
- What makes a college application essay different from a traditional academic essay
- Why the best college essays include anecdotes that show rather than just tell
- How you can find the right angle for your essay
- Tips for writing effective, exciting opening paragraphs
- Why you want to have a really narrow focus for your essay
- Why the “before, during, and after” approach is a compelling way to structure your essay
- What you must avoid doing if you choose to “recount an incident or time when you experienced failure” and need to share how it affected you and the lessons you learned from it.
- When and why you might have to change topics
NEED MORE HELP?
CLICK HERE to learn about my one-hour consultations.
Blog post image used: ©Wavebreak Media Ltd/bigstock.com